Regular maintenance is important to keeping vehicles performing safely and efficiently. However, what exactly does regular maintenance encompass and why is it so important?
Regular auto maintenance is arguably a wise investment. It is as important to one’s vehicle as regular doctor visits are to one’s health. Vehicles that are well taken care of getting better gas mileage, are more dependable, perform better, and last longer.
So what items need to be maintained regularly? Following are thirteen general maintenance tips for having a safer and more efficient vehicle:
- Tire pressure and lights should be checked monthly
- Chassis lubrication, oil change with filter should be done every 3000 to 5000 miles or every 3 to 4 months
- Belts and hoses should be inspected at the same time your oil is changed
- Tires should be rotated and wheels balanced at every other oil change
- Brakes should be inspected at every other oil change
- Air filter should be replaced every 12,000 to 24,000 miles or as indicated by inspection
- Fuel filter should be replaced every 24,000 to 100,000 miles
- Automatic transmissions should be serviced every 24,000 to 100,000 miles
- Wheel alignment should be checked every 12,000 to 24,000 miles or as indicated by tire wear
- Cooling system should be flushed and refilled every 40,000 to 100,000 miles
- Belts and hoses should be replaced every 60,000 to 100,000 miles or 5 to 8 years
- Timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 to 100,000 miles or 5 to 8 years
- Air conditioning should be checked every spring to make sure it’s working properly
Most individuals rely on their vehicles for a plethora of reasons. Quite simply, if one cares for their vehicle, the vehicle will take care of them. Following the thirteen tips above will make this task all the more easier.